A Thought on Multiverses
So I was contemplating the thought of a multiverse this week (for those of you who don’t know, a multiverse is a scenario in which our universe is just one part of many more universes). A lot of ideas sprang to mind, most notably revolving around string theory, the big bang, and black holes. String theory states that there are many more dimensions than the four we experience (up/down, forward/backward, left/right, and time), somewhere around 9-11 dimensions! So what can those dimensions be?
There are a few theories out there that say our universe lies on one of an infinite number of sheets. These sheets could be one of the dimensions that we do not see. When these sheets collide a huge amount of energy is released, aka The Big Bang. This energy spreads over the sheet creating the universe we live in.
Now here is one of my crazy ideas. Lets say that the sheet we live on is not infinite in size. After so many billions of years the energy waves should bounce around and interact with each other. I don’t know if this is possible to find, but it sounds plausible.
Next are black holes. If we live on sheets then maybe these black holes are tears in the fabric and connect our sheet to another. Perhaps a black hole on our sheet has such a strong gravitational attraction that it pulls nearby sheets closer. Then they touch. And bam, another Big Bang is born. All the matter that a black hole has ate has to go somewhere, and the perfect place for it to go is a different universe.
These are just a few wild speculations that I have thought of over the last few days. They are in no way a complete theory on anything. Just a wild guess on the nature of the universe. I’m just an amateur astronomer after all!
- Big Bang Was Another Universe Black Hole (timothyheffernan.net)
- Entangled Particles May Be Connected by Wormholes (davidyerle.com)
- Series and Parallel Universes (stevespen.wordpress.com)
- A Universe of Graphs. A personal voyage in the Google Graphs. (moz.com)
- O is for Omniverse (naturalpantheist.wordpress.com)
- A Big Misconception About “The Multiverse” (physicsandotherstuff.wordpress.com)
- Multiverse or Universe? Physicists Debate (space.com)
- Evidence of collision with another universe during the early formation of our universe (nextbigfuture.com)